19 Oct International Repair Day – Right To Repair
International Repair Day is a day dedicated to promoting the repair culture globally. It encourages people to mend, fix, and repair items rather than throwing them away and replacing them with new ones. Repairing helps reduce waste, save money, and decrease the consumption of resources, ultimately benefiting the environment and the economy. International Repair Day is 21st October 2023.
Some of the primary goals of International Repair Day are:
1. Raise Awareness:
- Environmental Impact: Highlighting the environmental benefits of repairing and reusing items to reduce waste and pollution.
- Economic Savings: Promoting the cost-saving aspect of repairing items instead of buying new ones.
2. Skill Development:
- Workshops: Organizing workshops and events to teach repair skills and share knowledge about fixing various items.
- Skill Sharing: Encouraging communities to share repair skills among themselves to preserve and propagate the culture of repair.
3. Policy Advocacy:
- Right to Repair: Advocating for policies that make it easier for people to repair their items, including making spare parts and repair manuals more accessible.
- Manufacturer Responsibility: Encouraging manufacturers to produce goods that are durable, repairable, and recyclable.
4. Community Building:
- Repair Cafes: Establishing and promoting repair cafes and similar initiatives where people can bring their broken items for repair.
- Collaboration: Collaborating with organizations, businesses, and individuals to promote the repair culture.
Activities on International Repair Day:
- Workshops and Events: Participate in or organize workshops to learn and teach repair skills.
- Sharing Stories: Share stories of successful repairs on social media and other platforms to inspire others.
- Policy Advocacy: Engage in conversations about policies related to repair, waste reduction, and resource conservation.
How to Participate:
- Learn a New Skill: Learn how to repair something you’ve never tried fixing before.
- Teach Others: If you have repair skills, share them with friends, family, or community members.
- Organize an Event: Hold a repair event, workshop, or café in your community.
International Repair Day is an opportunity for people to step back and reconsider their consumption habits, realize the impacts of throwaway culture, and embrace the practice of repairing, reusing, and recycling to create a sustainable and resource-efficient world. Repair Not Replace supports the right to repair and encourages everyone to sign the petition https://repair.eu/join-the-campaign-2/.
If you need an iPhone screen replacement, iPhone battery replacement, Samsung mobile repair, iPad screen replacement or any other repair, do book online or call 0800 047 2047 for help.